Saturday, July 5, 2014

Thing #3 - Utilities

I am back to working on my 23 Mobile Things using my son's iPod Touch.  He is home from college and very rarely uses his iPod Touch since he has access to most everything on his phone as well.  After some frustration with passwords and getting the settings changed--especially the brightness (I don't know how he could see anything with the screen that dark)--I am ready to proceed.

 Red Laser was a very interesting app for scanning barcodes and QR codes.  I did have trouble scanning barcodes from books and I can't understand why.  The barcodes from the misc. items I scanned seemed to work just fine.  I also found that the feature that compares local prices for an item so that you can bargain shop was not always accurate. Sometimes a completely unrelated item would show up in a list!  I liked the fact that you could access coupons and the weekly ads for many of the stores that I shop at on this app.  So despite the dificulties I had, I could definitely see myself using this app frequently.



Wi-Fi Finder was another app that I found very useful.  You can look for free (or paid) Wi-Fi hotspots all around the world.  This would really be useful when traveling and I could also see using it locally when in an unfamiliar area and you needed an internet connection.  I checed Sisseton, SD because we go there often to visit family and there were NO hotspots in the immediate area!  Not that surprising, however, because it is a very small town. I also checked the island of Kauai because we vacationed there two years ago and found that there were a number of hotspots in the cities but the majority of the island is hotspot free! Even the Waimea Public Library did not show up on the app. We visited this library (of course I have to visit a library wherever I go) and used the public computers, but maybe they do not have Wi-Fi.  Great app.


No comments:

Post a Comment